Tuesday, December 1, 2009

We'll see where that takes us.

Assistive Technology apparently only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. What they really mean is assistive technology that's not expensive, like a pair of glasses. They say there is just no budget for something like a BAHA. But they did some research and found out that they could sell me a BAHA at cost which is like $3500 and then will help me organize a charity fund raiser in my local town. So, while this is a Plan Q, it's still a lot better than the $6500 I would have had to pay to the clinic and I sure appreciate the thinking, digging and paper work they had to do to be able to provide me with the opportunity to buy through them at cost. Did I mention it's at cost? That means they're not making any money off of helping us! What a novel idea!

They also got me in touch with a mom that got her son a BAHA soft band without a lick of trouble. Problem is, she doesn't know why it wasn't a problem for her. She didn't know that it's a battle for most. She has the same type of insurance, BC-BS, and even uses the same ENT doctor as Garrett does, but out of a different hospital ( his Ft. Worth office out of Cooks Children's hospital, instead of his Dallas office out of Medical City). So I made an appointment with the same doctor in the new location and low and behold, they will file with insurances.

Now it's back to fighting with our insurance. The clinic out of Cooks filed with our insurance, and sure they pay for BAHA soft bands, but only for adults 22 years and older. Random much? So now the audiologist is getting the ENT to write a letter of necessity to our insurance. We'll see where that takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment